Looking after your tapsAuthor: / Category: Uncategorized
Looking after your taps during the big freeze
Northumbrian Water is warning home and business owners to protect water pipes in freezing conditions.
The water company has produced a leaflet entitled Beat the Freeze, which has advice and tips on how to avoid frozen and burst pipes in cold weather. The useful information can be downloaded from www.nwl.co.uk/Beatthefreeze.aspx.
Leanne Clough, Northumbrian Water’s communications advisor, said: “It’s not just people who need to keep warm and wrap up with extra layers in winter.
“Water tanks and pipes also need some protection in the freezing conditions we are currently experiencing. By taking simple steps, customers can keep homes and businesses frost-free and avoid costly plumbing bills during this cold snap.”
Top tips to be prepared and beat the freeze this winter are:
• Turn off valves to outside taps.
• Ensure pipes are properly insulated, both inside and out.
• Set heating to come on for short periods every day to prevent pipes freezing. • Make sure pipes and tanks in the loft are lagged.
• Check for draughts around windows and doors and insulate if needed.
• Keep the name of a local plumber handy in case of emergency.
• Customers should find out where the property’s internal stopcock is located and check that it works.
If customers are leaving a property unattended, the water supply should be turned off at the private stop tap and internal water pipes and tanks should be drained.
Customers are also asked to be vigilant. Check for pipes which may have been damaged during the freezing conditions when temperatures start to rise and frozen pipes thaw.
Blackettsdoors.co.uk are a UK based DIY store. They have a large collection of all types of doors including traditional doors, external wooden doors, glazed doors, internal doors, together with a large selection of quality door furniture and hardware.